Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Grandparents


Yesterday my last grandparent that I had passed away, my Grandma Heinrich. (She's the one in the purple dress) It's not a big shock, she's been sick for a while and has been terribly lonely since my Grandpa died in April 2004. My Grandpa Foote passed away in December 2000 and my Grandma Foote in September 2005. The thing about Grandparents is the you really don't appreciate everything that they do and tell you until they're not here or are unable to anymore. There is probably not a day that goes by that I do not think of something my grandparents tried to teach me or wanted me to know. What I wouldn't give to be able to call them and ask them how to do some of these things now. My Grandma Foote was an amazing seamstress. She could sew anything. I can't count the times she tried to teach me to sew of course at the time I didn't think I would ever want or need to know these things. I wish I could learn from her now!! My Grandma Heinrich was quite a lady. She new how to entertain and was quite the social butterfly. My Grandfathers were both hardworking. My Grandpa Foote served in WWII and I wish I could ask him more about that. Even though he didn't like to talk about it-- as most men that served over there don't. I have recently found some really old pictures of him and his army buddies. I would have loved to have him tell me about them. My Grandpa Heinrich was very involved with the Oddfellows. He held a lot of postions and was even Grand Poo-Paa as I liked to call him for a year. ( Don't know the official title--Just know it was a big deal) He thought it was really funny everytime I called him that. The time we have here with our families is really short and we need to try to get evertything we can from it. I was lucky enough to have really wonderful grandparents. They even came to visit me ( all 4 of them toghether after I moved to Utah) At the time I remember it being a lot of work. They were all older and had variuos things wrong with them--but I will always treasure that time that they chose to come and spend with me. So for those of you reading this that still have one or more of your Grandparents you are lucky. Take the time to be with them-- because life is really short. As for my Grandparents I will remember them and miss them everyday.

3 comments:

The Emery's said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandma. It doesn't matter how old or sick someone is, it still doesn't prepare you for loosing them. I basically only had 1 grandparent my entire life and you're right we really do learn so much from them and they know SO much. I'm with you and wish that I had a another chance to sit down and talk with her about the stories in her life and learn all that she knew. Thanks for sharing.

Michelle

Sherrie said...

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I am preparing myself for the loss of my final grandparent, my grandma. I know it's coming soon. I will try to spend every second I can with her. You are right when you say that we should cherish the time we have together because life is short. Again I'm sorry for your loss. Take care.

Allison said...

I am so sorry to hear of the passing of your grandma! I know you thought of her often. Make sure you write down all the memories you have of her and of your other grandparents. I know that is something I am going to work on too. It is great to know you have wonderful grandparents who love you so much.